Monday, October 18, 2004

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Googlehorn.

When Microsoft ditched the WinFS file system so they could release Longhorn in 2006, the promise of an effective desktop search engine tied in to the operating system was trashed. Enter Google to save the day with the new Desktop Search utility. Desktop Search allows you to search email from Outlook and Outlook Express, files in TXT, HTML, DOC, XLS, and PPT formats, chats from AOL Instant Messenger and web pages. I installed Desktop search and after all the indexing was completed, I was amazed at how fast results were returned. I know there will be privacy concerns with this, but it's definitely worth trying (even if it's on a test computer). I think this is going to be a utility that I can't live without!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Glaring omissions: no Firefox or Trillian support (yet). Please take a minute and send feedback to Google and let them know that it is needed!

FuserKill said...

Every Try X1 basically does the same thing. I use it everyday. Kills MS the OS search function.

Unknown said...

Looks cool, but the $74.95 price tag seems steep!

FuserKill said...

Who pays for anything these days come on.... This isn't corporate software this is personal use.

Unknown said...

I'm actually using the Google Desktop for corporate use. I love being able to search through my e-mail quickly. Outlook's search sucks.